REASONS I HATE MY BIRTHDAY
1. It is the day I do not eat cake: Mother says it adds to my hips.
2. It is the day people tell me I am now a woman. I swear that happened years ago.
3. It is the day Mother makes me kiss Uncle.
4. It is the day I lost my virginity six years young.
5. It is the day they sing to me and scream at me —
a. because good girls shouldn’t cry on their birthday.
SOFT WHILE RESTING
This is the part / I cannot breathe there is a moth / stuck
in my throat / attracted to light in / my stomach / &
it breaks / down my esophagus into a jelly / that tastes of sour
cottage cheese / & ghost / peppers on sunday / when children
play / & adults drink / vanilla / I scream but no sound / leaves
/ because the moth is trapped where it should / not be / & it
got there in the first place / I did not know / how to say /
THE ANATOMY OF A DOLL
I bruise my barbie dolls
with markers & matches–
I cut her hair; he likes to touch
her rotator cuff, made of ball
& socket plastic.
I break off her right leg & break
down because she was so beautiful
until he told her she was
not like the other girls.