December graduates prepare for life after Fisher

Photo from Pixabay
Photo from Pixabay

By Jake Allen, Managing Editor 

Most students graduate in four years. But others are able to save money and graduate in December.

Applying to graduate schools or pursuing full-time jobs are tasks that arise as the calendar nears the end of the fall semester. Those tasks can either excite students or make them feel overwhelmed.

Senior Taylor Rose is taking a unique path. She plans to substitute teach in the Fulton City School District starting in January. As a psychology major, Rose hopes to then enroll in graduate school for school counseling in fall 2018.

“I’m looking forward to starting a full-time job and being out in the ‘real world’ for a while before I start grad school,” said Rose.

Along with her studies, Rose has also been involved in the student-run theater club, Fisher Players. While graduating early comes with leaving friends behind, Rose feels that it is time to move on with the next chapter of her life.

“Although I’ll be sad to leave Fisher and my peers behind, I do believe that it’s time for me to move on and pursue the career I want to be in for the rest of my life,” said Rose.

Heading in a different direction is senior psychology major Poy Siripornsawan. She will pursue graduate studies that involve occupational therapy. Reflecting back on her time at Fisher, Siripornsawan feels that college has made her a better person in the process.

“I feel that Fisher has helped me tremendously in growing as a student and as a person,” said Siripornsawan.

Students graduating early tend to feel a sense of disbelief that their entire undergraduate career will end so abruptly, and ultimately, sooner than they had originally thought.

“It honestly feels bittersweet,” said Siripornsawan. “Definitely went by much faster than anticipated.”

As a way to celebrate their accomplishments, seniors have the opportunity to participate in senior week right before commencement, which is typically held in May each year.

Some December graduates worry that their chosen profession will not allow enough time off in order for them to attend the events with fellow classmates and friends.

Senior nursing major Emma Northrop has accepted a full-time position on the pediatric hematology/oncology and nephrology unit at Golisano Children’s Hospital in Syracuse and fears that she will miss out on being with her friends for their final semester of college.

“I fear that I will miss out on the last semester of college with my close friends and that I will lose contact with people,” said Northrop. “I don’t know if I will be able to get senior week off, and I still want that college experience with my friends.”

The sense of ‘Fisher family’ has been a source for some students’ fond appreciation of the college and is something that many December graduates will miss most, including Northrop.

“I will miss the family that Fisher is,” said Northrop. “You see the same familiar faces everyday and you build close relationships with several people because you are constantly surrounded by them. I had the same classes with the exact same people for my time in the Wegmans School of Nursing, and I built relationships with my professors and other students that I don’t think I would have gotten at a larger school.”

Be the first to comment