Counting calories: Fishbowl vs. Cardinal Cafe

By Mikaela Huber, Lifestyles Editor 

When choosing a late night snack, students at Fisher have two choices: Fishbowl or Cardinal Cafe. They both have different menus, food options and branding. But is one healthier than the other?

The option with the most calories at Fishbowl is the Fishbowl Plate with Cheeseburger, ranking in at 1167 calories. Based on a 2,000 calorie diet, this dish alone accounts for over half of the day’s allotted calories. At Cardinal Cafe, the Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie, the most caloric smoothie offered, totals to 621 calories.

But Fishbowl doesn’t just serve greasy food.

“We also have healthy options, we have hummus plates, we have different salads, we have grilled chicken,” said Alannah Burke, Fishbowl employee. “So there’s healthy options as well.”

The house salad is only 87 calories per serving. This is a good alternative to the traditional calorie rich food that dominates Fishbowl’s menu.

But when it’s all said and done, and all the calories are counted, who really pays attention to them, and do students actually care about the calories?

Freshman Alize Garlock said, “I am not really concerned with my weight, so like I know the calories, but I don’t really pay attention.”

Garlock goes to both Fishbowl and Cardinal, but her decision depends on what type of mood she’s in.

“I like both,” said Garlock. “It depends what I am feeling. If I am feeling something fruity or sweet, I will go to Cardinal. If I am feeling something greasy, I will go to Fishbowl.”

Looking at the nutrition facts, it’s safe to say Cardinal Cafe has a more healthy, and calorie conscience, menu.

Tory Davenport, a barista at Cardinal Cafe, said that he notices a lot more female students come to the Cafe than males. However, freshman William Corwin said that he prefers Cardinal Cafe over Fishbowl because he can purchase a smoothie, eat something healthy or meet someone there for coffee.

Although Fishbowl may have a heartier menu, that’s not always the determining factor for a patron. It all depends on what type of person you are and what you are in the mood for. If you care about calories, Fishbowl might not be the right place for you, but luckily Cardinal Cafe is just a few steps away.

For more information about Fishbowl and Cardinal Cafe’s nutrition facts, consult the St. John Fisher website under the subcategory of dining menus.

Be the first to comment