Rochester moves its feet for kids

By Mikaela Huber, Lifestyles Editor 

The 36th annual Teddi Dance for Love, a 24-hour dance marathon, took place on Feb. 16 and 17 in the Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Athletic Center. This year, $87, 180.42 was raised for Camp Good Days, the highest amount in the history of the event.

Emily Jeffries, the chair of the Teddi committee, explained the purpose of Teddi Dance for Love.

“So basically it’s a 24 hour dance marathon that benefits the kids of Camp Good Days, specifically the Teddi project, which sends a group of kids from camp to Florida, and they get to go to Universal, Disneyland and the beach,” said Jeffries.  

Camp Good Days is a week long sleepaway camp for kids who have or had cancer, as well as kids who have family members with cancer.

Basically it’s an opportunity for kids to be kids again at the camp, and also to get to know and be around people who are going through the same things that they are,” said Jefferies.

Each hour of the dance featured different dance themes. The themes ranged from breakup hour to Disney hour. Different events also took place throughout the night, including performances by Drastic Measures, Irish Dance Club, and Yellow Jackets.

Junior Alyssa Whitley said, “My roommate is in Fisher Players so they organized a flash mob that I’m going to be participating in, and its during the Justin’s hour, Justin Timberlake and Justin Bieber.”

Even though this event is a part of Fisher history, it still attracts new members like freshman committee member Keanna Serviss.

“I joined the committee and why I am on it is because I thought this was a great opportunity to give back to Camp Good Days,” said Serviss. “It is a really great organization for kids with cancer, and I just felt good to be apart of something bigger than oneself.”

For more information about the Teddi project visit,

Be the first to comment