Dillan Wilkinson has eyes on an E8 Championship

Photo from Fisher Athletics
Photo from Fisher Athletics

By Nicholas Klein, Staff Writer

As baseball season is getting into full swing, left-handed reliever Dillan Wilkinson hopes to help the Cardinals continue their successful season.

The 5’9,” 170 lb sophomore is coming off an impressive freshman year in which he started two games and held the second-best ERA on the team with a 1.82. Wilkinson also finished his freshman season with a 4-1 record and was named to the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC), Second Team All-New York Region while earning First Team All-Empire 8 honors as well.

Wilkinson attended Liverpool High School in Syracuse and played two years of varsity baseball. His senior year, he was named to First Team ALL CNY.

Already this season for the Cardinals, Wilkinson has pitched in eight games and currently holds an ERA of 1.38. He has a total of 13 strikeouts, which is just seven less than his freshman year total. He expects to build on his early success and already has his mind on the postseason.

“For myself I’d say my goal is to continue to do my job as a reliever and bring energy to the team,” said Wilkinson. “As an entire unit, we expect nothing less than 30 wins and an E8 Championship to send us back to Regionals.”

Coming into the season nationally ranked, the Cardinals had a lot to prove, but Wilkinson said that they didn’t feel that pressure.

“Pressure, none at all,” said Wilkinson. “There was an expectation. Clearly, dropping out of the rankings early that we didn’t meet those expectations but we are a much better team all around than we were in the beginning.”

The 16-7 Cardinals are certainly improving as they are on a six-game winning streak and have won 12 of their last 13 games. Wilkinson has continued to improve as well, and has only allowed four hits in his last nine innings pitched.

Teammate and fellow pitcher Sean Harris described Wilkinson as a “great leader” and recognizes Wilkinson as being part of the team’s recent success.

“He works really hard and you can tell how much he wants to win,” said Harris. “We just need him to continue to do his job on the mound. It really makes the game a lot easier when you have a reliever who you can count on to get you out of innings.”

The sophomore also mentioned that he has two more years of baseball and school to look forward to.

“For the rest of my time here at Fisher, on the field I’m excited to see what our freshman can do and I have very high expectations,” said Wilkinson. “Thirty wins should be the minimum as well as an E8 championship. Off the field, can’t wait to live in my house with my boys Sam, Sean, and Matt. Also set up a position for myself to further my education in grad school.”

Be the first to comment