My Experience in the East Avenue Grocery Run

(Photo taken by Cardinal Courier Staff Writer Madison Weber).

Madison Weber

Nov. 16, 2022

On November 5th, the 13th Annual East Avenue Grocery Run took place on East Ave in Rochester. There was both a 5k and one mile option for athletes – with the path starting on East Ave and heading across the Genesee and along the Riverway trail and back. As someone who ran it, it was genuinely a beautiful course that gave people the opportunity to run on the usually busy streets of Rochester because they were closed, and to follow along the canal on the crisp fall morning. I also appreciated that the race started around 8am so I was able to sleep in a little bit. Typically, I try to wake up around 6 on days I am running a race in order to have time to gte ready and stretch but for this one I rolled out of bed around 7! Runners were able to pick up their racing bib and a complimentary yellow Grocery Run shirt at Rochester Running Company the few days leading up to the race.

At the race, they announced that it was the first year that they were back approaching pre-Covid attendence rates with almost 1,100 runners. It was $35 for the 5k and $30 for the one mile route, and all profits collected went to local food drives. The race itself started at the Third Presbyterian Church on the corner of East Ave and Meigs Street – with the church serving as the driving force and sponsor behind the event.

As a runner, it was a wonderful event to take part in it. There were runners dressed as groceries, and those with decorated team shirts. Personally, I elected to wear my yellow shirt and my trusty Campus Ministry fanny pack to hold my phone and keys during the race. Running on what are typically some of the busiest streets in Rochester was really fun, as they had closed the road along the entire route. We made it out near the Blue Cross Arena, passed along the canal, and made our way back to where we came from. There was a wide range of running abilities present at the event, with the fastest person finishing their 5k in about 16 minutes, while others elected to walk the course and enjoy the scenery. It was mainly a flat-road course, so it was a relatively quick and easy run compared to a trail run or one with many hills.

After the race, runners gathered at the finish line cheering others on and enjoying the company, snacks, and music. Foodlink was also at the event collecting additional donations. In the end, they were able to provide more than $53,000 to local food pantries and 1,500 lbs of non-perishable food. All of the money raised will go to local pantries, so it will make a true difference in our local community. The race’s Instagram can be found here. Food was donated by several local businesses, including Scratch Bakeshop, Macarollin, Java’s, Wickham Farms, Donuts Delite, and more found here.

Timed results for the race can be found here, and the writer of this story will not be offended if no one looks up her results.