Interview: David Giannetti

Biographical

Name: David Giannetti

Current job: Circulation Supervisor

How long have you been at Lavery Library or Fisher: Nine months

How Do You Work?

What is your office/workspace like?

I work at one of two computers near the front desk. Circulation staff shares the computers. The back room behind the desk is pretty spacious. We have a cabinet for personal items (I am starting to accumulate quite the tea collection here) and the reserve items and books that need to be shelved are all back there.

What is a typical day like for you?

No day is ever the same, but my main duties would be assisting patrons at the front desk and filling ILL requests.

What are you reading right now?

Molloy, Malone Dies, and The Unnamable book cover
Molloy, Malone Dies, and The Unnamable
Elizabeth Bishop: The Complete Poems book cover
Elizabeth Bishop: The Complete Poems

Molloy, Malone Dies, and The Unnamable by Samuel Beckett. They are a trilogy of three novellas typically published as a whole novel and are interconnected.

The Collected Poems of Elizabeth Bishop.

What do you appreciate most about Fisher?

I appreciate how receptive and friendly the people here are at Fisher. Everyone is very supportive and I enjoy being part of the team at the library. I also enjoy working with the students and appreciate the wider culture and community Fisher has developed here.

What do you want the students to know about you or the library, or one thing you want students to know?

Rochester has some great cultural centers. The Dryden Theater projects movies on film instead of digitally which is a different experience. . They show a lot of classic movies or films you wouldn’t get the chance to see anywhere else.

On a personal note it’s time to bring back the Oxford comma. For good. It recently helped delivery workers win a lawsuit in millions of overtime pay.

Fun Facts

What is your favorite word?

Yet I, A dull and muddy-mettled rascal, peak, Like John-a-dreams, unpregnant of my cause, And can say nothing

John-a-dreams- Is someone who is a dreamy, idle person, prone to not getting anything done. Hamlet refers to himself as this in one of his soliloquies (Hamlet by William Shakespeare, act 2 scene 2 lines 503).

What is your least favorite word?

I’m not sure I have one. I love language and the flexibility of the English language. But a word like yolo, which is really an acronym that became a word bothers me. So yeah, definitely yolo.

What profession other than your own would you love to attempt?

A professor of Film Studies, specializing in Scandinavian languages and film.

What profession would you never want to attempt?

Window Cleaner. I am terrified of heights.

What superpower do you wish you had?

Telekinesis. The power to move things with your mind. I think I would use it mainly to fidget with things but this way both my hands would be free.

What are you most proud of in your career?

Working here at the library and realizing that I have a passion for this work and would like to continue schooling and a career in it.

When you aren’t at work, what are you likely doing?

Out at a café reading, maybe jotting down thoughts. I like to explore foreign films and older films. I also have a range of favorite TV shows I follow.

Author: Christina Hillman

STAFF generated by Banner @ 06/17/2013 06:03:03 PM