Interview — Lynn Seavy

Biographical

Name: Linda “Lynn” Seavy

Current job? Office Manager, Lavery Library

How long have you been at Lavery Library/Fisher? 26 years and counting.

How Do You Work?

What is your office/workspace like?

Crowded, and not as neat as I’d like it to be.  Lots of green plants. Watercolor pictures on the walls; I love the soft colors.  Different piles of papers for different projects I’m working on.  Broken equipment and chairs awaiting repair; I’m mostly hidden from view.  Little animal figures people have given me, as well as a couple small stuffed animals to keep me company.  I try to “have a bit of a cleanup” every now and then, but it never lasts long.

What is a typical day for you?

Checking email first thing and rescheduling meetings and Help Desk shifts for people out sick.  Doing “rounds” of the Library building looking for maintenance and safety issues to get fixed.  Reserving rooms for library instruction classes and meetings, and checking email to keep our room calendars up-to-date.  Proof-reading everything from articles to class handouts to PowerPoint presentations.  Checking email.  Working with Facilities staff to get repairs made.  Sending out reminders and helpful messages so everyone knows what’s going on.  Checking email.  Placing phone calls, composing letters, and cleaning up formatting in documents for other staff so they have more time to assist students.  Checking email.  Having a cup of tea in there somewhere.

What are you reading now?

I’m never reading less than 3 books:  a couple at home, another at work for lunch hours, but never more than two fiction at a time.

Currently I’m reading:

In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick;

The Postman by David Brin; and

Climate of Hope: How Cities, Businesses, and Citizens Can Save the Planet by Michael Bloomberg and Carl Pope

What do you appreciate most about Fisher?

The Fisher Family is not some fictional entity to help with recruitment.  Not only is the college small enough that professors will know their students by name, but the staff and faculty are very supportive of each other and the students.  On many occasions, when something bad has happened (a house fire that left a staff member and 3 children with no home or possessions, the sudden death of the father and uncle of a foreign student who did not have the money to fly home), Fisher Family members have opened up their wallets and their hearts, providing whatever was materially necessary to get people through a crisis, as well as genuine compassion and a willing ear to listen or shoulder to cry on, for as long as it took to get that person back to a good place.

What do you want the students to know about you or the library, or one thing you want students to know?

The library staff are all very caring, down-to-earth people, and no one should be shy about asking a question.  The librarians, along with other front desk staff, are here to help students, but not just because they are being paid to do it.  Everyone genuinely enjoys helping other people by answering questions and breaking down difficult research topics to get the necessary information for papers and projects.  They won’t stop searching until they have the right answer.  Never, ever hesitate to ask for help; it will make our day!

Fun Facts

What is your favorite word?

I’m proud of my British heritage, and I love a lot of the words and phrases they use that are different from American English.  Some sound cuter or more tasteful, and some are just plain wacky.  A garbage can is a dustbin; the hood and trunk of a car would be the bonnet and the boot.  Nothing to do?  You’re at a loose end.  Doing something reckless?  Don’t play silly buggers!  Feeling miserable?  You look like a dying duck in a thunderstorm.

What is your least favorite word?

Any acronym of a phrase that is not difficult to spell or remember: POTUS, FLOTUS, BTW, LOL, etc.  Unless you are tweeting or texting, please write out the words!

What profession other than your own would you love to attempt?

Professional writer.  I love to write, but it takes a lot of work and time to polish something to the point at which it is publishable.  It’s hard to make time when there are so many books I want to read!

What profession would you never want to attempt?

Anything involving heights.  When I see a scene in a movie with the hero standing on a building ledge, or hanging inside an elevator shaft, my palms get sweaty.  Mountain-climbing movies like Cliffhanger (Stallone) and Vertical Limit (Chris O’Donnell) terrified me way more than any horror movie.

What superpower do you wish you had?

I would love to be able to swim like a dolphin.  Swirling around coral reefs and diving with huge schools of fish seems like a great way to explore the oceans.  And being able to launch myself out of the water while swimming at 30 miles per hour would feel pretty awesome, too 😉

What are you most proud of in your career?

The positive impact that I, that all of us, have on our students.  Though I don’t teach or help with research, I’ve made connections with students who worked in the Library.  They friend us on Facebook, or come back to visit, long after they’ve graduated, to let us know how they are, and share the milestones in their lives, which clearly shows that we became an important source of support to them when they were away from home during a very stressful time of their lives.

When you aren’t at work, what are you likely doing?

Reading books; watching movies; listening to music (lots of movie scores); going to library book sales and Barnes & Noble; solving word puzzles and sudoku.  Preferably while drinking lots of tea and eating cookies.  I inherited a sweet-tooth from my British mother.  I also like to be working on something creative; if I’m not writing a story, I might be making jewelry, or taking an art class.

Author: Christina Hillman

STAFF generated by Banner @ 06/17/2013 06:03:03 PM