McDougall Communications

By Noelle Acquilano ’21

Being a Communications Intern at McDougall Communications was one of the greatest experiences I have ever had. I was able to work with some of the best public relations practitioners in the field, and learn from them. Not only that, but I also had a fantastic supervisor who mentored me and helped me grow as a professional.

Throughout the first half of my internship, I worked with the American Diabetes Association to launch their Virtual Tour de Cure in Rochester. I wrote a press release, created social media content, and helped strategize for the Tour coming up next year. It was a fantastic experience that helped me gain more experience crafting social media content, creating graphics, and communicating to various target audiences.

In the second half of my internship, I worked with Nativity Preparatory Academy, which is a school in Rochester that offers free-tuition for students that were not well-served in their past schools and are several grade levels behind. At Nativity, they have small class sizes that help ensure that students are able to excel in their studies. I worked to help them with their social media and google analytics. It was here that I was able to meet the team at Nativity, and meet a group of truly dedicated individuals who want the best for their students. It was an honor to be able to work for this nonprofit and help them fundraise, better utilize their social media platforms, and to help them understand and use google analytics. 

I could not say enough nice things about my internship at McDougall Communications. From the beginning, I felt like I was a part of the team. I was able to sit in on team meetings and learn more about our clients, what each team member is working on, and to just catch up with the rest of the team. It was nice being able to joke around with other team members during our weekly team meetings. 

While it was a different experience doing an internship remotely, I thought that the team at McDougall Communications handled this flawlessly and made me feel like I was a part of the team. We had weekly team meetings, weekly meetings with my supervisor, and weekly meetings with clients so that everyone was up-to-date. This made it easier for me to keep track of my various assignments, and make sure I was meeting the client’s needs.

In addition to this, my supervisor at my internship was a fantastic mentor to me. Since I am graduating in December 2020, my supervisor helped me search for jobs, and gave me tips for interviewing and applying to jobs. I am incredibly thankful for all of the support my supervisor offered me. 

Overall, I would highly recommend interning at McDougall Communications. It is an incredible opportunity that allows you to gain experience working with nonprofits. I gained a lot of valuable experience working on social media, creating graphics, using google analytics, and offering advice on how to best optimize social media platforms. I could not have imagined a better internship to end my senior year at St. John Fisher College.

About Jeremy Sarachan 5 Articles
Faculty, Part-Time

Be the first to comment