Around campus you will see posters that will make you Stop | Think | before you Connect!
Week 1: Simple Steps to Online Safety – THINK BEFORE YOU CLICK!
Passwords: Protecting yourself by using strong, unique passwords for each of your devices and online account.
- Strong – cannot be easily guessed by hackers
- Tired of complex passwords? Try using a passphrase instead.
The longer your passphrase is, the stronger!
- Unique – using a different password for each device/online account – if one password is compromised all your other accounts/devices are still safe.
- Can’t remember all those strong, unique passwords – use a password manager; stores all of your passwords in an encrypted format.
- Where available, enable two-step verification on accounts that support it. Two-step verification uses your password and adds a second step (code being sent to smartphone, or using fingerprint). Even some password managers support this feature – it’s easier than you think!
Best Password Managers of 2017: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407168,00.asp
Office of Information Technology
OIT Service Desk
St. John Fisher College
phone: (585) 385-8016