SJFC Office of Information Technology
OIT Notification Number: 2018-74
Title: OIT ALERT – Planned Maintenance – Finalization of Email Server Upgrade and Potential Service Impact – 9/28-9/30
OIT is nearing the completion of an upgrade to our Email System from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016.
This upgrade will move us to the current version of Exchange, replace aging hardware and provide an updated interface to webmail (owa.sjfc.edu) for faculty and staff email.
To complete the upgrade, all of our email data has to be migrated to the new servers. This will be completed starting on 9/26 and finishing by the evening of 9/30.
You will notice impacts in two timeframes.
– Friday, 9/28 evening after 5:00 you may experience a 5-10 minute period during which you’ll be unable to send or receive email or connect to OWA.
– If this occurs please close your email client and then reopen it. If it lasts longer than 10 minutes, please contact the Service Desk at 385-8016 so that we can check on it further.
– You may also be unable to see other users’ Free/Busy time when trying to schedule meetings during this time until all user mailboxes have been finalized.
* For Mac users utilizing Outlook for Mac or anyone using OWA: Exchange Public Folders will be unavailable the entire period between Friday afternoon and the end of the day Sunday.
– Sunday, 9/30 all day: All of the Exchange Public Folders will be moved, these include Public Calendars and Email Folders that some departments utilize.
We have worked hard to minimize any impact on faculty and staff. There are approximately 2.3 Terabytes of data that will be migrated.
We appreciate your patience during the finalization of this move. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the OIT Service Desk at (585)-385-8016.
OIT Service Desk
Office of Information Technology
St. John Fisher College
phone: (585) 385-8016